Tuesday, June 5, 2012
Stoneham High School baseball players Kevin Young and Ryan Carino reflect on the 2012 season after being eliminated by Lynnfield 2-1 Sunday in the second round of the state tournament.
The dream run for the no. 16-ranked Stoneham High School baseball team came to an end Sunday afternoon after falling to no. 1 seed Lynnfield 2-1 in a hard-fought game. The Spartans managed to get into the tournament after rattling off six consecutive wins to end the regular season. The team not only made the tournament, but picked up a preliminary-round victory, beating Madison Park 11-6 to advance to the second round, where they lost to Lynnfield. Senior captain Kevin Young discussed the team’s defeat to Lynnfield in his last game as a Spartan. “It was pretty cool knowing that we had an amazing chance of knocking these guys out of the tournament,” Young said. “We were expected to lose and all the pressure was on them, not us, so we went …
Friday, May 13, 2011
Mark Kerrigan, brother of former Olympic figure skater Nancy Kerrigan, will stand trial May 16 on manslaughter and assault and battery charges for allegedly causing the death of his father Daniel Kerrigan last year.
The manslaughter trial of Mark Kerrigan, who is accused of causing his father's death more than a year ago in Stoneham, begins May 16 in Woburn Superior Court, according to a press statement issued Friday afternoon by the Middlesex District Attorney Gerard Leone's office. Mark Kerrigan, of Stoneham, is the brother of Olympic figure skater and Lynnfield resident Nancy Kerrigan who is expected to be called as a witness by the prosecution. Their father Daniel Kerrigan 70-year-old died in his Stoneham home during a struggle with Mark. Jury selection was completed Friday, and opening arguments will begin at 9 a.m. Monday in Woburn Superior Court, 200 Tradecenter, Courtroom 730.
Friday, April 22, 2011
Check out five houses up for sale in the Stoneham area in our latest "House Hunt" column.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to Easter, there will be no open houses this Sunday. Limited showings will take place on Saturday, April 23 instead. "House Hunt" is a weekly column featuring real estate open houses in Stoneham. Photos and information compiled using MLS data, courtesy of Century 21 North Shore and Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage.
Thursday, March 31, 2011
Scope out the upcoming events in the region in our latest "Get Out" column.
1. LIVE JAZZ AT SUSHI ISLAND Where/When: Sushi Island, 397 Main St., Wakefield on April 2 from 6:15-9:15 p.m. Why go: Enjoy drinks, food and live performances by jazz musicians. Pricing: No cover charge; however, customers must purchase a meal of $10 or more. 2. “KIDS’ PRICE SATURDAYS!” AT STONE ZOO Where/When: Stone Zoo, 149 Pond St., Stoneham on April 2 from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. Why go: The park is an entertaining destination to bring the family to see interesting animals and their habitats. Pricing: $7. 3. LIVE ENTERTAINMENT AT THE FAT CACTUS Where/When: The Fat Cactus, 215 Broadway, Lynnfield on April 2 at 8:30 p.m. Why go: Enjoy tasty Mexican food and live entertainment at this Mexicali Cantina. Pricing: Free music. Food prices vary. 4. …
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Curious what's happening in the Stoneham area? Scope out our latest "Patch Facts" column for details.
1. Grab your poncho: The National Weather Service's forecast for Stoneham calls for rain for much of the day, with patchy fog before 3 p.m. There's a possibility that the area receives up to three quarters of an inch of new rainfall, while temperatures top out at 45 degrees. Southerly winds are expected to be mild at 6-8 miles per hour. Temperatures may dip to about 34 degrees in the late evening hours. 2. Live entertainment: Musician Michael Troy is scheduled to perform at 8 p.m. at The Fat Cactus, 215 Broadway, Lynnfield. 3. Coping with pain: Amy Lord of Mystic Valley Elder Services is expected to talk with seniors about the different ways to manage chronic illnesses from 9:30 a.m. to noon at the Stoneham Senior Center, 136 Elm St., …
Friday, March 11, 2011
Looking for something to do in the Stoneham area? Check out the latest "Patch Facts" column for ideas.
1. Spirit wrangler: Spirit channeler Kevin Coan is scheduled to perform at 8:30 p.m. at Marty's Caterers, 54 Montvale Ave., Stoneham. Bring a photo of a loved one you'd like to reach and he will try to make that happen. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., followed by dinner at 7 p.m. Tickets cost $49.95 and must be reserved in advance. For more information or to reserve your seat, call 1-866-745-1167 ext. 2. 2. Get your groove on: A Jazz performance is slated for 6:15-9:15 p.m. at Sushi Island, 397 Main St., Wakefield. While there isn't a cover charge, each patron must spend at least $10 on a meal. 3. Music anyone? There is expected to be live entertainment starting at 8:30 p.m. at The Fat Cactus, 215 Broadway, Lynnfield. 4. Signup today! The Boys & …
Sunday, March 6, 2011
Scope out the latest "Patch Facts" column for recommendations on what to do in the Stoneham region.
1. Open Houses: If you're searching for a new place to call your humble abode, check out the open houses scheduled in Stoneham. 2. Talented youngsters: The Northshore Youth Symphony Orchestra is slated to perform at 3 p.m. at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Reading, 239 Woburn St., Reading. 3. Say a little prayer: Here are some of the worship services being offered in town: 4. Brunch-time beats: There is live entertainment planned from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at The Fat Cactus, 215 Broadway, Lynnfield. 5. B-I-N-G-O! Adult Bingo starts at 6:30 p.m. at the Boys & Girls Club of Stoneham, 15 Dale Court, Stoneham. For details on prizes and admission card prices, check out the Friends of the Boys & Girls Club of Stoneham's Bingo page. For more…
Saturday, March 5, 2011
Check out the latest "Patch Facts" column for things happening in the Stoneham area.
1. Support a good cause: There will be a Stoneham Theatre Boston Marathon Team Fundraiser from 7-11 p.m. at 47 Pine St. You can support Melisa Thorne, who is running in the 115th annual Boston Marathon. The event will have a D.J., pizza, dancing, raffles and more and costs $10 to attend. All proceeds benefit the Stoneham Theatre's young company. 2. B-4 you go: Adult Bingo starts at 6:30 p.m. at the Boys & Girls Club of Stoneham, 15 Dale Court, Stoneham. For details on prizes and admission card prices, check out the Friends of the Boys & Girls Club of Stoneham's Bingo page. 3. Live music: The Chase is scheduled to perform at 8:30 p.m. at The Fat Cactus, 215 Broadway, Lynnfield. 4. Comedy show anyone? The Edwards Twins are scheduled to …
Friday, March 4, 2011
Check out our latest "Patch Facts" column for ideas of what to do in the Stoneham region.
1. Fun times! The Edwards Twins are scheduled to perform at 8 p.m. at Stoneham Theatre, 395 Main St., Stoneham. The comedy act will be filled with impersonations of celebrities, including Andrea Bocelli, Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler, Billy Joel, Cher, Elton John, Elvis Presley, Luciano Pavarotti, Neil Diamond, Ray Charles, Rod Stewart, Roy Orbison, Stevie Wonder, Tina Turner and Tom Jones. Tickets can be purchased by calling 781-279-2200. 2. Music anyone? Brandon Lepere will be performing at 8:30 p.m. at The Fat Cactus, 215 Broadway, Lynnfield. 3. Get your groove going: Check out a live jazz performance from 6:15-9:15 p.m. at Sushi Island, 397 Main St., Wakefield. While there isn't a cover charge, each patron must spend at least $10 on a…
Thursday, March 3, 2011
Check out the latest "Get Out" column featuring events and activities going on in the Stoneham region this weekend.
1. LIVE JAZZ AT SUSHI ISLAND Where/When: Sushi Island, 397 Main St., Wakefield on March 5 from 6:15-9:15 p.m. Why go: You can enjoy drinks, food and live music performed by Bob Christopherson. Pricing: No cover charge; however, patrons must purchase a meal of $10 or more. 2. NORTHSHORE YOUTH SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA Where/When: Unitarian Universalist Church of Reading, 239 Woburn St., Reading on March 6 at 3 p.m. Why go: Talented young musicians, who perform Intermezzo and Symphony Orchestras, will play 12 ensembles of orchestral instruments and the works of Bach, Mozart and Schubert, to name a few. Pricing: Free. 3. THE CHASE, BRANDON LEPERE AT THE FAT CACTUS Where/When: The Fat Cactus, 215 Broadway, Lynnfield on March 5 at 8:30 p.m. and March …