Stoneham Man Pleads Guilty to Assaulting Local Woman

Stacey Jones pleaded guilty to multiple charges in Middlesex Superior Court in Woburn Monday.

A Stoneham man pleaded guilty Monday in a Woburn court that he assaulted a woman in her home last December, according to a press statement by Middlesex District Attorney Gerry Leone's office.

Stacey Jones, 35, pleaded guilty in Middlesex Superior Court to charges of assault, assault and battery, and making threats, according to the statement. On the assault charge, Judge Mitchell Kaplan sentenced the defendant to two and a half years in the House of Correction, 18 months to be served, with the balance suspended for three years, reads the statement.

On the charge of making threats, the defendant was sentenced to six months in the House of Correction to be served concurrently and for the assault and battery charge he received three years probation, with the following conditions: no alcohol, submit to random alcohol screenings, complete batterer’s program and no contact with the victim, according to the statement.

“This was a vicious attack on a woman in her own home, all while the victim’s young child was asleep in the house,” Leone said in the statement. “We continue to work in every way that we can to prevent and prosecute cases of domestic abuse while also serving and protecting victims. If someone finds themselves in an abusive and controlling relationship, we hope that they will reach out for help and disclose the abuse, beginning the process of extricating themselves from that violent situation. 

"We commend the victim in this case for coming forward and helping to hold the defendant accountable for his crimes.”

According to authorities, on Dec. 19, 2011, at approximately 10:30 p.m., Jones, who was known to the victim, arrived at the victim’s residence in Stoneham, according to the statement. The victim asked the defendant to leave and the defendant then grabbed the victim by her throat and threw her to the ground, reads the statement. The defendant then climbed on top of the victim, put his hands on her throat while also shoving his fingers in her eyes and mouth, authorities said, reads the statement.

The defendant eventually stopped assaulting the victim and left the home, according to the statement. The victim immediately called 911, according to the statement, and the assault took place while the victim’s three-year-old child was asleep in the residence.

arrived on scene and the defendant was arrested a short time later, according to the statement.

Jones was Dec. 20, 2011, where Judge Paul Yee ordered him held pending a dangerousness hearing, according to the statement.

On Jan. 3, Judge Gailey determined that the defendant would be released with the conditions that he refrains from the use of alcohol, is subject to random screenings, ordered to stay away and have no contact with the victim or where the victim works, ordered to abide by all restraining orders, and ordered not to possess any dangerous weapons, reads the statement. Jones was released on those conditions on Jan. 4, and later that day, he violated his conditions and was arrested.

On Jan. 5, Judge Marianne Hinkle revoked Jones’ bail, according to the statement.

Jones was indicted by a Middlesex County grand jury Jan. 31 and arraigned in Middlesex Superior Court on Feb. 9, according to the statement.

The prosecutor assigned to this case is Assistant District Attorney Marisa Tagliareni, while the Victim Witness Advocate isDanielle DeMeo, according to the statement.

This case was investigated by the Stoneham Police Department.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »