Five things to know today, Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2013:
1. Warm up (and maybe rain). Showers likely today (60 percent chance), mainly after 5 p.m. according to the National Weath Service. Increasing clouds, with a high near 47. Light southwest wind becoming south 6 to 11 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 31 mph. Tonight, rain and snow showers before 3 a.m., then a slight chance of snow showers. Low around 31. South wind 6 to 10 mph becoming west after midnight. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
2. Bored on winter break already? Check out this round-up of kid-friendly events taking place in and near Stoneham this week.
3. Register now for Boys & Girls Clubs of Stoneham's 9th annual Bowl-a-thon. It takes place on Sunday, May 19. Register your team or yourself by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or visiting the Stoneham Club, 15 Dale Court, Stoneham, MA 02180 or at the Wakefield Bowladrome. Registering early will help the club plan better and allow you to bowl at the time you prefer. Teams encouraged (up to 4 people playing during each game), collect pledges to support the Boys & Girls Clubs of Stoneham and Wakefield, and make it interesting by initiating a challenge to another team or group! Learn more about the event and registering.
4. Relay for Life of Stoneham kick-off event scheduled. On Tuesday, March 5, the American Cancer Society Relay For Life of Stoneham will officially get underway as cancer survivors, caregivers, families, schools, companies, faith-based and civic organizations gather at the Stoneham Senior Center, 136 Elm St. at 7 p.m. for a kick-off rally to launch their fundraising efforts for the year. For more information about the Relay For Life of Stoneham, to find out how to volunteer, or to RSVP for the Relay Kick-off, please contact Lesley Fawcett at 781-314-2683 or email@example.com. More information here.
5. Free tax prep for eligible seniors. The Stoneham Senior Center is partnering with AARP's tax preparation service to offer free tax assistance to eligible Stoneham senior citizens. Help is available for simple tax forms from certified tax preparers. To qualify for the assistance, you must have an income of less than $40,000 filing singly or $60,000 filing jointly as a married couple. Appointments are available each Tuesday from 9 a.m. to noon through April 9. You must call for an appointment: (781) 438-1157. When you go for your appointment, bring your 2012 return as well as recent water and municipal tax bills.