5 Things You Need To Know Today, Wednesday, Jan. 30
Bits of knowledge to help make you the smartest person at the watercooler.
Here are 5 pieces of information designed to get you over the hump this Wednesday and to help make you the smartest person in line at the drive-thru.
1. Your 3-Day Local Weather Forecast:
- According to the NWS, today there will be a chance of showers. Patchy fog between 7am and 9am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 54. South wind 6 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Wednesday Night Showers and possibly a thunderstorm before 2am, then showers likely. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 42. South wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.
- Thursday A chance of showers, mainly before 10am. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 46. Breezy, with a west wind 13 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 22. West wind 10 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph.
- Friday Partly sunny, with a high near 34.
- Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20.
2. Reader Comment of the Day: "Between the ages of 10 and 14, we were racing homemade go-carts down dangerous streets - no helmets or pads, we fished & cleaned our own fish, squirrel hunting & target shooting with .22's, shooting each other with BB guns, throwing apples at cars and being chased. Lots of sports. Walked to school starting 2nd grade - all weather no rides, often chased by a viscious dog. Other things I'm embarrased to mention. Small caliber guns but no booze, drugs or video games. No one was ever kidnapped. I would hate to be an urban/suburban kid today." Reader David Miskinis, commenting onn the story, "Please Don't Help My Kids."
3. It's Happening Today: The Stoneham High boys and girls track teams will be competing in the Middlesex League Championships today. The events are set to begin at 5 p.m. at Acton-Boxboro High School.
4. By The Numbers: 800. That is the estimated number of deaths caused each year in the US by the norovirus, mostly in young children and the elderly. The bad news is, a new strain of the virus has hit the region.
5. Quote of the Day: “There is nothing more important to our communities and economic competitiveness than ensuring that our schools are able to deliver the best possible education to all our students." State Rep. Jason Lewis, discussing legislation he has filed to strengthen school funding.